Thursday, August 12, 2010

Final sermons done!


So we have finished the preaching in this course! I've heard 30 sermons in the past week ... and listened to all of them! Generally it was quite good. I am very pleased with the progress. It has been significant to get to know these men and hopefully play a role in their growth as pastors.

These last two days the pastors have been preaching through the book of Titus (multiple times). What a great book! I can't wait to preach it myself sometime! One of the key concerns these pastors had at the start of the course is that they have many people who have not been putting into practice what they were taught. In Titus 2:1, Paul tells Titus that sometimes people don't realize what exactly it looks like to live according to the truth. It is one thing to say that we should avoid ungodliness; it is something quite different to be specific about what that might look like in daily life. Paul then goes on to give rather specific instructions to Titus about the types of things he was to teach each group of people their society (young, old, men, women, and slaves). I challenged the guys, and now I am challenged, to take the risk to be clear enough when we preach about what it looks like to live according to the truth. It is risky ... will I get it wrong? Will people not like it? Will it seem like I'm judging people? But Paul commanded Titus to do it. Because knowing and believing sound doctrine doesn't automatically result in living according to it. We need to be taught and challenged.

So having taught others, I have now been taught, and I need to put it into practice!

Now I've got to review my notes on their preaching and give them feedback. Hopefully I'll get that done by tomorrow mid-day.

Tonight I go to a speak with a group of students at University of Goroka. Essentially I will do what I've been doing with the Dialogues at MSU on Sunday evenings. It will be fascinating to see what happens with this approach in a very different setting.

Tomorrow after grading I will go to the New Tribes center here in Goroka then Sunday I travel to Sydney. Monday I have a day to explore Sydney and then Tuesday I take the long trek back to Haslett.

Thanks for your interest in this adventure, for your prayer, and for those of you who contributed financially to help make it possible! These things are all greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment